I am so excited to be a part of the Hodgkin Mills Build a Better Pizza Contest. Hodgson Mill has set out to make a healthier pizza crust and are holding a contest to find the best recipes. When I was invited to do this contest I knew immediately that I wanted to create a kid friendly pizza crust. I have four children and I struggle to get them to eat healthily. No matter how healthy I make something it does me no good if the kids won’t eat it. I also wanted a quick and easy recipe that I could throw together, since life is never calm enough for me to be in the kitchen for hours. So without further ado here is my entry:
- 1¼ cups Hodgson Mill Whole Wheat Flour
- 1¼ cups Hodgson Mill White Flour
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) Active Dry Yeast
- 1 cup warm water
- 1½ tablespoons Olive Oil
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- corn meal for sprinkling
- whatever pizza toppings you desire
- Pour the water and sugar into a large bowl and mix until dissolved
- sprinkle the yeast on top – do not stir
- wait for approximately 10 minutes or when it gets all foamy
- Add both flours, olive oil, and salt
- Stir until fully combined
- Knead the dough for 5-8 minutes so the dough becomes moderately stiff and smooth. Sprinkle flour on your hands and kneading surface as needed.
- Cover and let sit for 20-30 minutes (a towel on the counter is fine)
- Sprinkle corn meal onto you pizza pan. If using a cookie sheet you may want to lightly grease it first.
- Stretch the dough out with your fingers or roll it until the desired width. Place it on the pizza pan.
- Place the pizza dough into an over preheated to 425°. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Remove the dough and cover with desired toppings.
- Return to the oven and cook for 20-30 minutes at 425°. Remove when the edges brown and the cheese is melted.
Freezing Pizza Dough
If you are like me you want to save yourself some time, so I wanted to pass on this trick – you can freeze the pizza dough! What I do is on a lazy weekend I will make multiple batches of pizza dough and freeze it for later on. It’s a huge time saver! After step 7 place the dough in a vacuum sealed bag or freezer bag with all the air squeezed out. You can then toss it in the freezer and it will keep for 1-2 months. A day or two before you want to make pizza pull it from the freezer and place it in the fridge. At dinnertime you can just pick back up at step 8.
The toppings you can add to your pizza is only limited by your imagination. Everyone in our house has different tastes so we tend to make a half and half pizza. One side has meats and olives, while the other side will have all the other veggies as well. For the pizza in the photos we had:
*Colby, Mozzarella, and Cheddar Cheese
*Bell Peppers – various colors
Build a Better Pizza Contest
We want to you be a part of this contest by letting us know which recipe you like best. The contest runs from now until October 30th. I would love your vote, but of course feel free to vote for any of the recipes. Here are some contest details:
Voting ends at 5pm Central Time on OCTOBER 30TH, 2012, with the highest-voted recipe winning an imported outdoor grill (valued at $1,300), plus other great prizes awarded to runners-up! Additionally, anyone who votes in the contest will be eligible to win their very own prize! TEN (10) USERS WHO VOTE ON ENTRIES IN THE CONTEST, CHOSEN AT RANDOM (MUST BE FACEBOOK FANS) WILL EACH RECEIVE A $25 GIFT PACK OF HODGSON MILL PRODUCTS.To vote, Facebook fans will enter their name and email to be automatically entered into a drawing to win one of ten (10) $25 gift packs. See a list of all prizes and more in the official rules: http://www.hodgsonmill.com/
Please vote here.
Look for the Kid Friendly Pizza Crust by Our Share of Crazy
In addition to your chance of winning by voting in the contest above, you can also win a prize right here on my Our Share of Crazy. You can win a $25 Hodgson Mill pizza prize pack (like the first photo). A winner will be chosen at random from the comments below. To enter please go to Facebook and vote for your favorite recipe. I’d love for it to be mine but that is not required. Then leave a comment letting us know you voted. This giveaway is open to US Residents. One winner will be chosen via random.org on October 31st. Good luck!
I would love your vote here.
I received the Hodgson Mills products free of charge to create the recipe. All opinion are my own.
This recipe is copyright to OurShareofCrazy.com.